Current SEND courses
Our SEND courses are designed for parents living with children with special educational needs and disabilities, autism, ADHD and all neuro-diverse conditions, including those awaiting assessment or diagnosis. The courses are designed to give parents tools, skills and knowledge which make a lasting positive impact and change to family life.
Over the past 13 years, 95 per cent of our parent attendees would highly recommend our services to other parents.
All courses are delivered by founders Francine and Lesley, who have over 25 years of personal and professional experience of SEND. Attendee group sizes are limited to ensure an interactive, personal approach is maintained.
Complete guide to parenting children with SEND
This free 10-week course is for those parenting children aged two to 11 with all Special Education Need living in Hertfordshire.
Facilitated by founders, Lesley and Francine, the course aims to help parents:
- Gain a greater understanding and answer the question, ‘Why does my child do that?’
- Learn a range of strategies and solutions, to better manage behaviours that challenge
- Understand sensory issues which affect behaviours
- Gain more understanding of anger triggers and strategies to reduce angry meltdowns
- Learn how to support siblings living with a sister/brother with additional needs or challenging behaviours
- Learn communication techniques to reduce emotional traffic jams and improve children’s emotional regulation
- Meet other parents living in families similar to theirs and share experiences
- Learn techniques to manage stress, conflict and so much more….
Parents must attend all nine sessions. Wednesdays 9.30-11.30am
January 6th, 13th, 20th, 27th
February 3rd, 10th, 24th
March 3rd, 10th
Handling anger in your child with ADHD and/or Autism
A free six-week course for parents with primary aged children with ADHD and/or Autism, living in Hertfordshire.
This CANparent quality mark course for parents of primary aged children provides practical and proven techniques to reduce angry meltdowns in your family.
This very popular, effective and award winning anger management course helps parents to:
- Gain understanding of Autism and ADHD and how behaviours can be effected
- Attain awareness of a child’s sensory world and the affect on behaviour
- Understand how anger and other emotions live in your family
- Increase your understanding of triggers that cause angry outbursts
- Learn healthy anger management strategies for children and parents to reduce angry outbursts
- Discover creative ways to support children to ‘let go’ of anger safely
- Gain effective empathic communication techniques to reduce angry outbursts
- Meet and share experiences with other parents
Parents must be able to attend each session. Tuesday mornings 9.30-11.30am.
January 5th, 12th,19th, 26th
February 2nd, 9th
Tuesdays 12pm – 2pm
March 2nd, 9th, 16th, 23rd
Limited places available. Bookings open 4th January 2021 via Eventbrite.
Sleep solutions for children with SEND
A proven evidence-based and behavioural approach for parents of children with SEND aged four to 10, to help families get a better nights’ sleep
Together, in small interactive groups Lesley and Francine, who are licensed sleep practitioners with a wealth of experience, will help parents to restore healthy sleep. This course helps parents to:
- Understand the stages of sleep and the impact of sleep deprivation on children’s behaviour and learning
- Identify the causes of sleep difficulties, including a child’s sensory sensitivities
- Find ways to bring balance to your child’s sleep issues
- Find ideas that help children go to sleep and stay asleep
- Understand and manage sleep problems such as night terrors and nightmares
- Learn how to actively listen and respond empathically to children to reduce concerns and feelings such as anxiety
- Create a routine and sleep inducing environment to aid healthy sleep for the whole family
Parents must be able to attend all five sessions. Mondays 9.30-11.30am
March 1st, 8th, 15th, 22nd
Parenting with empathy
A proven therapeutic approach to increase positive family communication to manage behaviours that challenge, reducing behaviours that challenge and building your family’s emotional wellbeing.
- What empathic listening is and how and why it builds strong attachments in families.
- Encouraging families to build a positive emotional language when managing anger and/or ’emotional traffic jams’.
- Using Empathy to set clear expectations and boundaries to enable children to feel safe.
- Delivered by trained and experienced facilitators, Francine and Lesley with over 20 years of personal and professional experience that is shared calmly, with clarity and in a non-judgemental and supportive environment.
- Parents must be prepared to attend all sessions and live in the designated areas.
Parents must be able to attend all sessions, Mondays 9.30am – 11.30am
For parents in DSPL8 area only
January 18th, 25th
Parents must be able to attend all sessions. Mondays 12 – 2pm
For parents in DSPL8 area only
March 1st, 8th, 15th